TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeTools for fishin I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

Tools for fishin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
redog
redog

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 am

when yall fish down at the coast do you use the same fishing poles that you use in fresh water?....I have some big poles for big baits that i set out off the end of the piers but i also use them for fresh water red fishin in the lake....All other fishin poles get use in both waters.......???
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm

I use the same poles for both!!!!!
On account of I am poor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and frugal)
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Depends on what you're fishing for. I use large surf rods with Diawa or Ryobi Reels, when off shore fishing. Use fresh water rigs mainly to catch bait fish, like cigar minnows.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Ranger wrote:
Depends on what you're fishing for. I use large surf rods with Diawa or Ryobi Reels, when off shore fishing. Use fresh water rigs mainly to catch bait fish, like cigar minnows.

Ok Ranger what kinda of cigar minnows you talkin about here ...how do you catch them with a rod and reel?....got pics?

We always used what we call cigar minners that swam around under the lights off the piers and we caught them with a long handle, small hole net... They where are about 2" long and had a silver strip going down the middle of them.... trout love them ...free line them on a long shank hook....????????

Last edited by redog on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Sabiki rigs are commonly used for catching baitfish these days, but not that long ago, everyone used bait rigs made with golden hooks. If you are willing to make your own gold hook rig, you will catch bait just as well if you were using a pre-made sabiki setup. Cigar minnows stay in large schools and several fishermen can fill up the livewell quickly with the golden hook rigs.Cigar minnows make a great bait. Fish like them. It does not matter if they are live or dead. Use cigar minnows for everything from grouper digging to catching kingfish on the surface.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Leader line
* Gold hooks
* 1 to 2 ounce bank or pyramid sinker
* Barrel swivel
* Medium weight rod and reel

1. Start with a long section of 10 to 12 pound test monofilament. Using dropper line knots, tie 5 or 6 drops that are 5 to 6 inches long. Start with size 10 gold hooks, tying a hook at each dropper line.

2. Attach the baitfish rig to the line on your rod, using either a swivel or tying straight to the line. At the opposite end of the rig, attach a large sinker. The sinker weight will vary according to the depth and sea conditions where you are fishing. Start with a 1-ounce sinker and go from there.

3. Once you are over the cigar minnow habitat, lower the rig to the bottom. The rod can be lightly jigged, but often the bait will bite the second they see the hooks.

4. When you feel fish on the line, reel up and remove your bait. Be careful when removing the cigar minnow as it is easy to get impaled by the other hooks. Move to another location if you find there are no cigar minnows present.

5. Cigar minnows can range from 6 inches up to a foot in length. Experiment with hook sizes and the number or length of the droppers till you find what works best for you.

Last edited by Ranger on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Are they also call mullet?? what part of the coast you fishin from?
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:18 pm

They are similar to finger mullet, it is a different fish. They closely resemble fresh water shiners
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Florida Gulf Coast
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh ok Cool, so what can we catch using the Florida cigar minnow?
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Cigar MinnowAKA: Hardtail / Cigarfish / Chuparaco / Round Scad Family: Baitfish
Tools for fishin 439f414777438

Cigar Minnow Specifications

Water: SaltWhere: Offshore / Surf
Size: Most common at 6-8 inches, but may reach up to about a foot in size.
Fight: Too small and too weak to consider any gaming qualities, more commonly targetted as a baitfish.
Deliciousness: Used As Bait, Not As Table Fare
Range: Both CoastsTechnique: Drifting / Still Fishing
Baits: ChumTackle: Spinning

The Round Scad makes for a good bait fish when targeting Sailfish, Kingfish and Black Fin Tuna, Cobia, Redfish. Dolphin, Snapper, Bluefish, Lady Fish, Bonita, very versatile bait fish.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Ok an all around bait.... fish must be a very oily fish..Thanks for the pics and info Ranger.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:21 pm

anytime.
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:05 pm

I have 2 rods I use for both and a smaller rod for freshwater trout as well as a fly reel for trout. Up north I fished mostly for freshwater bass and trout, I could do that off of a pier in a lake. Seems to be harder to catch bass down here from shore or pier, and I understand that freshwater trout is almost non existent, except down by New Braunfels, so I may have to plan a fly fishing trip this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tools for fishin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tools for fishin   Tools for fishin Empty

Back to top Go down

Tools for fishin
Page 1 of 1