TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeCOLD FEET....................... I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

COLD FEET.......................

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
redog
redog

COLD FEET....................... Empty
PostSubject: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Looking for the best ways to keep my feet warm....
while hunting my feet do sweat and are like frozen....it takes a few
hours to get them warm in the sleeping bag...can you guys help?
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 pm

First is socks. Forget cotton socks. They make your feet sweat and keep the moisture next to your skin, making your feet cold. The latest thing is wool/polyester blends. If you have a highly-insulated boot with Goretex or Thinsulate go with one pair of socks. Have an extra pair to change into before you bunk down, that way you can was a dry out the other sock, depending on how long your are going to be in the woods.

Consider heavier weight, wool blend socks for lower insulation boots or boots that have no insulation. Also, check out the Smartwool Hunting System The socks click here, they range between $18 and $30 bucks depending on where you get them. They are $18 bucks at Gander Mountain and Zappos.com have them, most likely Academy may have them as well.

They consists of two layers of socks; one to wick the moisture away from your skin, the other to keep your feet warm. Google them, there are many retailers you can get them from.

Now the boots. The warmest boots, there are a few. I've been shopping them for the last month. The Hunting Pack by Lacrosse Footwear, or the Snow Plow by Irish Setter. Both boots retail for $179.99 have 2,000 grams of Thinsulate. They're both light weight and water-proof. The Snow Plow has an extra feature, odor-absorbing technology that wicks away moisture from the socks and contains it in the boot. North Face and Columbia also have some high end boots. Both make boots which you can put heat packs in or battery operated. Go to zappos.com and look under boots. They have the best prices on boots. Just make sure they have Thinsulate or Goretex.

Finally boot inserts. These don't cost much. Slip a felt insole $5 bucks into your boot. Many boots have rubber, uninsulated soles and this really makes a difference.

Try inserting air-activated, foot-warmer packets into your boot. There's full sole, and smaller, toe warmer packets. Both cost $1.

Last edited by Ranger on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:16 am

For boots check this place out HuntingBoots.com

Check out Zappos.com too Boots
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 am

happy hunting and shopping...
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for all the info ranger.... i`ll check out the sites. I like the wolverine boot for my everyday wear. also looking for a summertime hunting boot for hog huntin and fishin. i see the sites have them also ...Good info here ranger!!!
Back to top Go down
Jim
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 am

You got it brother.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:21 am

You have addressed a very important issue. You loose the most heat from the head and feet. I know for the last few season up until this year I for one always over looked this issue about cold feet and was sorry for doing so. Head, hands and feet. Good thread! and info for sure.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 pm

I got me some of them Merino wool socks from under armor ...man they help a lot....
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 1:27 pm

I agree with Ranger so much, when I used to do winter backpacking trips into the mountains, the double socks in wool were the best and drying your feet and changing socks before sleep is the only way to get any sleep at night. I took a cold weather backpacking class with the Sierra Club, and learned so much info that I still use today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COLD FEET.......................   COLD FEET....................... Empty

Back to top Go down

COLD FEET.......................
Page 1 of 1