TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeDecember Velvet I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

December Velvet

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

For several years, I was on a lease in Mason county. We have taken several "Bucks" throughout the year that were still in velvet in late December. I have posted a picture of the head of one my daughter took in 2008 (date on camera was wrong). The thing with these deer are that they were in velvet ALL THE TIME. They always had small or "mutant" racks. None of them had testicles.

So - Since they can't reproduce, where are the genetics coming from that create these things? I tend to lean towards the theory that it's genes from a doe that needs to get taken off. I don't think it's a buck because some of the hunters I was on the lease wih would shoot anything with antlers.

Does anyone have a clue about these things?

December Velvet 100_1872
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 8:47 am

I`ve taken two in my life time up in Media co. but nothing that big in horn size. We always just call them freaks. Looks like a job for the cull hunters!!!

Great pic JR
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm

We had taken TONS of them off that place and they kept coming back. My brother-in-law is still on that lease and they are still seeing them. They can't take guests, which is too bad because the buck/doe ratio is WAY OFF. They are also starting to have a pig problem. As a matter of fact, my brother-in-law works (every weekend) the landowner's cattle, fixes barns, plows the field - and they still charge him full price for the lease.

We took this one to have a European mount because it was still in velvet. The taxidermist took all the velvet off! No That was basically the only reason we wanted it mounted.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Thats crazy why would the Tax remove the velvet unless it falls off while its in the boiling pot......Did you ask what happen?
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am

He said it came off when he was treating it. I don't know anything about taxidermy.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks, RD!
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Sure Thing JR.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

December Velvet Empty
PostSubject: Re: December Velvet   December Velvet Empty

Back to top Go down

December Velvet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION :: TEXAS HUNTING-
Jump to: