TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeTreat your Meat .....To the Grill I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

Treat your Meat .....To the Grill

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

Treat your Meat .....To the Grill Empty
PostSubject: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 am

Treat Your Meat…………To the Grill

OK here goes my favorite part of the whole deal. The part where we put the meat to the fire! Go to the freezer and pull enough meat to feed the amount of people you are entertaining +2. If there are some leftovers “I doubt there will be” sliced thin and made into a cold sandwich the next day is outstanding. Defrost the day before you plan to cook. Pick the larger pieces hind quarter or back strap is best. Place the vacuum sealed packages in a sink and cover with cold water once defrosted usually 1or 2 hours remove from bags and rinse under tap, place on cutting board and pat dry with paper towel.
Now it is time to do your final knife work. Carefully remove as much as you can of the silver skin and sinew. Rule of thumb is (white is bad red is good). This can be a pain in the posterior but it is important for the meal and like all things it gets easier with time.
Another rule of thumb(white is gamey red is tasty) last rule of thumb is (watch your thumbs while doing knife work) when trimming is complete put meat in large zippy bags and dump in some marinade your favorite will do nicely but if it does not have oil in it add a splash of olive oil. A simple marinade to try is mostly Italian dressing, with a splash
Of soy sauce or worstishire worsttashere Lea & Perrins whichever you prefer squeeze in some fresh lime and add some extra garlic if you want (venison loves garlic) seal bag shake it up to mix and put in fridge over night. When it is time to cook I find it is good to have everything else you plan to serve pretty close to completion as deer meat grills fast.
Place meat on grill over hot coals (direct heat) time depends on size of pieces.
DO NOT OVER COOK!!! Medium to medium rare is the only way. If someone in your party likes their meat well done make them a chicken or something. Enjoy but be careful it is so good you may never fry back strap again, you have been warned!!

Jeff Jeter President, Texas Cull Hunters Association
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I was told today that we should try soaking the meat in coke over night, removes all game taste, I was told it is like night and day? Also said you will not taste the soda at all from soaking. Any one try this before or heard of this? I am going to try this and will let you all know. Frankly, this old buck I have in the freezer is stronger than I would like.
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:15 pm

My wife makes a pot roast with coke and its pretty good stuff. I imagine it could not hurt,worth a try for sure!!
Let me know how it works. Usually if I got a old or rutting buck or worse both I firstly age the meat 14 days
and even then often its just a little too strong on the palate. So now days its buck =sausage and doe=grill
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Yea, I hear ya, have not done the cooler trick yet. I have some meat soaking in coke now getting ready for the grill 2moro. I will let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Well I have a report from my coke soak.

I put the meat is some regular coke about 10 pm and took it out about 10AM the next morning. 1st thing I noticed was blood Coagulation at the bottom on the pan. The coke and blood was separated. Looks like the coke drew out all the blood from the meat. I washed it off and seasoned and set to the side to get room temp and start the grill.

After I started to cook the meat on the grill( Propane) I noticed that it did not smell like the last time I cooked on the grill but was the same deer though. This was my 1st notice that something was changed this time.

After cooking the meat I went in and started to eat. Let me tell you.. WOW.. there was a very very little game hint at all. I realy could tell you it was more like a beef stake than deer. Dear reminds me of liver. This did not.

I believe that a 2 day soak would be best along with wood or char not propane.

So dose coke work, yes. You can use Dr Pepper or what ever you like, you will not taste it.

I can not compare this to the aging or cooler trick but this def would be cheaper than buying ice for 2 weeks every day, vs a 2 litter of coke. I do not think I will cook any other way from now on, 2 day soak and your good.
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 am

Sounds tasty!!!!!.................I will give it a whirl.
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 pm

I soak mine in milk for 8hrs or over night and it takes all the gamie out of it as well.
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:54 am

I've heard about using the Dr. Pepper ( or soda) for years now, I've never shot a buck, just does, so never had to try it.
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Yeah Fyrdog thats the way to go!!!!! Only shoot does and your meat is always
tasty. Bucks are sausage material in my book!
With this cull hunting deal I have to shoot what the ranch owner wants,
so I dont pick and choose. I am just thankfull to have the oppurtunity to work
and hunt at all kinds of hunting properties!!!!
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Well up north there was always an abundance of does, and their easier to find. Last year my area bag limit was unlimited does. I almost had 2 bucks, but never got a clear shot, but does were no problem. a group of us went out on the final weekend and did a drive last year, 20 of us went out, brought back 17 doe, the next week only five of us showed for processing, I could not believe how much meat I brought home. I made steaks, stew meat, stuffed sausage, breakfast sausage, hamburger, and scrapple. This year was a bust, maybe next year.
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

You never know I might be able to get that hog hunting deal put together
soon, So you might have to make all hog sausage this year!!!!!
I bet it would be Gooooooood!!!!!
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I've made pork sausage before, sweet italian, good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat .....To the Grill   Treat your Meat .....To the Grill Empty

Back to top Go down

Treat your Meat .....To the Grill
Page 1 of 1