TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeBlack guns in the woods!?!? I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

Black guns in the woods!?!?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

Black guns in the woods!?!? Empty
PostSubject: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 am

I was reading a hunting magazine the other day (on the throne, the only place I get the time to read)

and there was an article on AR platform rifles and thier use as hunting tools.

I guess I am a traditionalist cause it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, at first.

but as i read more I started to see that maybe there is a place for this type of gun in the hunting woods.

Reguardless of how one feels about these weapons, I beleive we will see a lot more of them at the deer camp

in the years to come!.........................................................................Whats yalls take on this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:51 am

Well call me behind on this....When you say black gun and hunting i think black power/smoke pole. But when i saw AR for deer hunting i put the ol google to the test and found myself also getting a double dose on the throne!!....

Call me old fashion i guess but this aint my cup of tea... i`m more for ol` grand pa deer hunting rifle the old 243,270,3006 and then there was the shotgun using slugs......

Black guns may have the same knock down power as ol grand pa hunting rifle or more so i guess if they make a clean kill and are legal to use then so be it.....
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I prefer my trusty 270 for taking deer, and hogs for now. Eventually I'm going to get a AR-15 in 223 for hog hunting. This will save my 270 some wear and tear...
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 6:41 am

I was thikning exactly the same thing, an AR-15 hog rig, I wonder what one of those bad boys costs roughly??
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 am

Take your pic....... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx ......type in AR-15
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

I've noticed that the price of AR's have dropped back down.. got kind of crazy there for awhile. My dad works part time at a gun shop.. their AR's were selling for $1,500 3 years ago.. probably down below a grand now, depending on what brand and caliber.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Your Dad lives in S.A. right?
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:00 pm

No, lives in McGregor ... right outside of Waco.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh ok that must have been some one else on DT i was thinking of...
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Pat Roebuck lives somewhere around SA..
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Floresville Tx.
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 am

Yeah, that's it.. I'll be meeting him for the first time this Sat.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:06 am

Good luck to ya bro...
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Wish it were for fishing.. DT getogether this Sat.. Several members are going to be there it sounds like.
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:02 pm

I've always gone the traditional route as well. My favorite gun is still my Browning .30-06.

With the political climate, I wanted to get my hands on an AR platform rifle and found that Walmart carries a line that is really affordable (DPMS). The .223 is about $580 and the .308 was $890. I have a family member that has one and he says it shoots great. So, I took the plunge and bought a bare one and "built" it up to what I wanted. I've found that the accessories for these things are expensive!! Shocked

I mainly bought it to play with at the range, but if someone comes along and wants some hogs taken out, I may give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black guns in the woods!?!?   Black guns in the woods!?!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Black guns in the woods!?!?
Page 1 of 1