TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeWhat free range exotics do you have? I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

What free range exotics do you have?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spikeater

What free range exotics do you have? Empty
PostSubject: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I'd like to see who has exotics where they hunt and what kind. I hunt a ranch between Comfort and Lukenbauch and we've got Sika (they seem to come out of the woodwork in mid August/Septmeber) and Axis. We don't get hogs believe it or not but I know there's tons a few miles west along the Guadalupe River. Who else doesn't have hogs? I did see a group of a dozen or more Blackbuck on a low fence place not 3 miles west of us closer to Comfort.

Anyone have Nilgai? How far south have you seen Axis free ranging? A buddy of mine claims he's seen a few Axis does at his parent's place in Floresville. But I didn't want to break his heart and tell him that fawns have spots...

I know I've seen Auodad on the Colorado River near San Saba and on the Nueces River north of Barksdale. I saw an Elund skull at a ranch in Batesville but I think it was brought in.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I`ve seen dead sika deer on the side of the road, HY87 between Fredericksburg and Mason Tx. .... seen blackbuck,axis and of coarse whitetail all up and down HY 87........ I`ve only heard about the Nilgai being down around the kings Ranch area.....
Back to top Go down
spikeater

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm assuming you mean 87 NW of San Antonio and not Victoria, right? As far as Axis and Blackbuck go?
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Thats correct sorry about that .....
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Ive seen axis,black buck.fallow all over north of San Antonio. Only nilgi Ive seen is Kingsville area.
Spikeater sounds like yall got a nice place to hunt. Way to go man!!!!!!!!!!! Post Pics Please
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 pm

When I get the chance I hunt a place near Camp Wood.. Rockytop Ranch owned by Thompson Temple.. Can't hardly afford to hunt anywhere else on what I'm getting for disability. I make the best of it that's for dang sure !!
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 pm

I know how you feel B..........It is tough to afford to hunt on a full time salary as well!!! Thats why we got this thing going! Given time and promotion we might be able to help ourselves and other Texans get more time in the woods!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm

You've got a good thing going here. Surprises me that there's not more traffic though.. that time of the year I guess.

A pic of what I've taken so far..

What free range exotics do you have? Dallrammount007-1-1

Catalina goat (Gold medal) and a Texas Dall (one point shy of bronze)
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:43 am

Those mounts are very cool BM....I got a four horn on my list some day ..... Again.. Nice man i love them goat mounts!!!
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks RD.. My next one I get (hopefully this June) is going to be a Black Hawaiian.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

Hey gives us some info on where your huntin the goats do they have four horns?
Back to top Go down
K-Fletch

K-Fletch

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:23 am

I would love to do some ram hunting myself. I am def interested in where you are huntin BM
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 am

I'll give you all that I know about it.

Thompson Temple has just about everything out there at his place.. 4 horns included.
I do need to say right here and now.. that the rams are ear tagged with different colored tags. Each color determines the price for shooting it. The Catalina I have cost about $380.00 and that's including staying at the camp houses.
The Dall ram was about the same price.. I've seen Dall rams, catalina's, painted rams, Mouflon type, black hawaiians, Merino's,, he did have a few axis deer out there but they're probably gone by now. Hogs, fox, etc.
I can't go up the mountain because of my physical issues so I hunt the "overlook", an area where the critters come down to feed. The bigger rams and goats are going to be on top of the mountain and behind it in the pastures.
He does mostly group hunts.. keeps the costs down that way.

If I can answer any other question ya'll might have I'll sure do it..
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:48 am

Going up the mountain means walking up im guessing and that`s out for me also.... do you hunt out of a ground blind?..or?....to me that`s not really a bad deal for the money...how many days did you get to hunt?
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Actually, Thompson loads a bunch of the hunters into the back of his truck and hauls them up.. The path goes straight up the side, no twisting or turning, and it looks pretty steep !! He drops everyone off at the blinds, most if not all of them are ground blinds.
Everyone who goes gets there Friday about noon, and leaves around noon on Sunday.
It's about a 7 hour drive for me.. so I usually leave on Thursday and stay overnight at my dad's in Waco and then go on in from there Friday morning.
This time if I go I may just drive straight thru..
Back to top Go down
K-Fletch

K-Fletch

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:51 pm

I googled it and found the website.
http://www.thompsontemple.net/

Sounds pretty good, and definitely right for the money.
I may have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

I don't think you'll be dissapointed. One thing of caution.. don't get to excited about the sleeping accomodations there. Both the A-frame and the trailer house are liveable but a little run down. Does have AC though !! LOL
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Back to the top with this info!....A Texas Ram Slam that would be cool!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What free range exotics do you have?   What free range exotics do you have? Empty

Back to top Go down

What free range exotics do you have?
Page 1 of 1