TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeWhats your gun of choice for taking Deer? I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?

Go down 
+7
HogGuy243
USMC1355
Fool4Hunting
fyrdog929
cullhunter1
redog
Hunt to eat
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? Empty
PostSubject: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 am

OK, this should be interesting and fun, it is a unsaid rule that every hunting forum needs to have a Topic on " Whats your gun of choice for taking a Deer and why? Personally I find these very educational and learn alot. When you come to think about hunting, our tools that we use are one of the most important aspect.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 am

I`m a Rem. 270 man and i use the cheap bullies too!...150g Remington core lokt ...every time i think i want to up grade i have to talk myself out of it cause that that bullet works so well in my 270 and its my all around go to rifle for deer and hog killin......
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am

Some one is gonna beat me for this, but I am a .243 fan.. I like the .308 also,30/06 also,. owned them both too. but I always go back to the .243.. I am just such a good shot with that gun. So basicly I have giving up bullet size for shot placement. Thats just me, have taken home every deer I have it with that gun also.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 am

Thats a good one for deer and hog killin....I`ve been looking for a good wssm .243... an old walmart gun, they were cheap and deadly!......
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Whats your thoughts on a 25/06? have a licken to get one.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Me!.... I hate a 25/06....My uncle had one and i had to chase down his deer every time he shot ...i would just hate to hear him shoot!.... Dang thing is to fast and leaves no blood trail....If you have a licken get ready for a kicken .......Just my .2
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey man, I take all the advice I can get, if you get in a room of 4 people and 3 of the 4 think a idea is a bad idea, guess what,, it may be a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

haha...i remember one time we were hunting in Uvalde Tx. the bucks were chancing the does and i hear my Uncle shoot and sounds like a good hit....with in a min he shoots again and another good hit.......OH crap!!!!.....he tell me a doe ran by the blind and a good buck right on her tail ...The buck stop and look back right before he goes in the heavy brush and thats when my uncle pull the trigger....said not even a min. later here comes a bigger buck on the same trail ...Bang he shot that one too......

so knowing there not going to be any blood trail i started sweeping the area back and forth looking ahead in the high grass for a white spot ...I see horns sticking up over the grass and there laid a nice 10 pt. buck ........Started looking for the other buck doing the same thing and never did find him .......

My uncle is 93yo now and we still talk about that day...... he stop hunting at age 87 and still has that old weatherby 2506
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Great story Reddog !! I hope I hunt as long as your uncle did!!!!!!!!

I like the 270 my self ,flat shooter it is and quite effective on all native game.

Hunt, kudos to you and that 243 I like a little more punch on account of( pilot errors) haha
Cull
Back to top Go down
http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 am

I have a Winchester 7-mm rem. mag. But I think it's too much, would rather have a 30-06 or a 270
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 am

Fyrdog

Look at the bright side yeah that 7 mag is a lot of gun, but if you just touch a deer with that bully
(Its gonna die)

Cull
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 am

Yea, My brother is real fond of his 7mm mag too. When he goes for his trophy every year to out do the year before, he uses that, he always say, " I aint takin no chances"
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:33 pm

7 mmm is a good one...... all you have to do is hold the ice chest open and pull the trigger.... they jump right in!!!.........Hey Frydog Welcome to the TCHA!!!!!
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks redog I just moved back to Texas in May, was in NJ for 14 years working. No rifle hunting up there. Shotgun, bow, and a black powder season. I'm still looking for a place to hunt hog. I'm going out to LBJ grasslands now. Found signs of a few deer, not a lot, no Turkey or hog sign at all. I'll keep at it though. I sighted the scope on the 7mm last week, got 3 bulls in a row. but have been told if shot is within 6 inches of the deers head the bullet will still give a deadly concussion. J/K
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm

fyrdog929 wrote:
Thanks redog I just moved back to Texas in May, was in NJ for 14 years working. No rifle hunting up there. Shotgun, bow, and a black powder season. I'm still looking for a place to hunt hog. I'm going out to LBJ grasslands now. Found signs of a few deer, not a lot, no Turkey or hog sign at all. I'll keep at it though. I sighted the scope on the 7mm last week, got 3 bulls in a row. but have been told if shot is within 6 inches of the deers head the bullet will still give a deadly concussion. J/K

6" of the deers head!!!....Yeah i bet thats right!!!!!!!!.....I still remember ol` grandpas long tom!!!
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

J/K = Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm

I was about to say...
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Yo Fyrdog

Like you I spent many yrs in Jersy working, Moved back home in 98 and I could not be happier!!!!
Welcome Home Cull
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Yo Ranger ....... Dont hold back so much man.....................Tell us what you really think! haha
You know Im a 270 man so I appriciate being mentioned. Also you make several good points about the 7mm-08
and if I ever have some extra money laying around I might get me one of those perfect guns, but till then
Ill stick to what I got. Its a fiscal thing!!......................................Cull
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 6:39 pm

As I stated before, I use the 7mm Rem. Mag. But I have one of those Mosin Naggant Russians, but it was made in the USA. The Russians defaulted on purchasing them. So I got one brand new in the box, it had no gunk on it, just oil, and no import stamp since it was made in the US. It's a 7.62 x 54r. Model 91/30 made in Redmond, WA. I have to say it's one of the best rifles I have ever shot with iron sights. I shot a 1/2 inch grouping at fifty yards. I'm sure it would have done great at further distances, but I don't have the eyes for it anymore, I was impressed with it since I paid 100. dollars for it at Cabelas, figured at that price, why not? It shoots great with very little kick, and with it's weight it has very little recoil. Now if I could figure out how to get a good scope on it without too much modification of the rifle, then it would be my gun of choice.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 5:05 pm

What about the .243 anyone own one or use one..... i have a friend that has a old one and loves it......
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I have a .243 and am quiet deadly with it, my gun of choice, why, I just fell in luv with it and since I am so picky on my shot placement , I have only lost one animal i shot at and only becuase I plum missed. Matter of fact, was my 1st shot with the gun, not missed since.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 1:22 am

Hey hunt whos the maker of your .243 is it a wssm?
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:56 pm

It was a Marlin. I think it was only 3 +. Nothing special but works for me., I just now let my brother take it off my hands. I am sure we will do some trading and I will get it back, I am now in the mood for a 30 30 . I was messing with my brothers Marlin 336. And I liked alot. He since has sold that one and wished he did not. We was talking , and the Hornady 30 30 Lever Ammo that has come out has quite a bit of good stuff going for it. My brother like my self is real picky with shooting and likes the bullet to go where it counts. We was getting groups at 100 yds with that ammo out of the 30 30 as good as any of his guns. I bout fell out of the seat. I had never imagined. Looking at the data from the .243 and 30-30 , I realy want one now. I mean where I am, all shots are 100 yards to the feeders and I do not think I would try anything over 200 just because I flat cants see well period. I have a nice Browning Bow set up I am about to post if I can get my pics working, I traded on this and never have shot it , but I did take it to the shop for a tune and its right on and added another string stop. Will try to sell or trade, look for it and if you have any buds in Bows, dont pass this up. The bow is perfect and I have everything included, all you have to do is site to your self and hit the blind.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:53 pm

[img]Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? 6342163859804818750uabtona[/img]

there is just something about these guns and I dont know what it is, but gosh I must get one.
Back to top Go down
Fool4Hunting

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't have much of a choice. All I have is a 303 British and a 30-30.. Shot my last deer and hog with my 30-30.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:32 am

Hey I just picked up a 30 30 as pictured above at wally world. Marlin 336W, 359.00 Bought some Hornady FTX rounds and some see through sights and mounted a scope I had on hand, I cant wait to go play. never thought I would get a
30 30 but I am no in love
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 am

The 30 30 is the baddest in the land!.... I grew up with an old sears and roebuck 30-30. A bunch of deer and hogs went down with it...it has an old side mounted weaver 4x scope mounted to it. I been wanting to turn it into a hog gun but not sure how sense it ejects the shells out the top ...any ideas?
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 pm

I used to have a Marlin 30-30 lever, I loved that gun for plinking, never took it hunting because I never had a scope on it. I wound up selling it to someone who could put it to more use than I was.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Well , every one , look into the new hornady FTX for the 30 30. You will realy want another 30 30 and I would assume, get one now if your going to get one to have cause I think this round will make the prices on these guns go way up. Way they have it now, Should have no problem turning the 30 30 into a 300 yrd gun .
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

What grain of bullet would you remand here hunt?
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 pm

The Hornady FTX is 160 Gr. Hold on I will post some info here?
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 pm

These are about 20.00 in the stores.

30-30 Win 160 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

* Ballistics

30-30 Win 160 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®
Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300
2400/2046 2150/1643 1916/1304 1699/1025
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300
-1.70 3.00 0.20 -12.10

All Other Lever Loads are Pointless!

LEVERevolution is the most exciting thing to ever happen to lever gun ammunition. Hornady, the leader in ballistic technology, brings you an innovation in ammunition performance featuring state of the industry patented, FTX (Flex Tip eXpanding) and MonoFlex bullets that are SAFE in your tubular magazine. Its higher ballistic coefficient delivers dramatically flatter trajectories for fantastic downrange energy increases and amazing bullet expansion at all ranges. It truly is an evolution in lever gun ammunition!

MonoFlexClick here to view all LEVERevolution with MonoFlex products

* Up to 250 feet per second faster muzzle velocity than conventional lever gun loads.
* Exceptional accuracy and overwhelming downrange terminal performance.
* Patented FTX and MonoFlex bullets featuring Flex Tip Technology.
* Up to 40% more energy than traditional flat point loads.

The innovative LEVERevolution bullet design may require a newer magazine follower to provide best possible functioning of the last round out of the magazine. These magazine followers may be purchased from the manufacturer of your firearm. For optimum performance we do not recommend storing LEVERevolution ammunition in tubular magazines for extended periods, as this can result in tip deformation.

Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition is loaded with FTX and MonoFlex bullets.
BTHP
FTX
MonoFlex

LEVERevolution with MonoFlex
Details
Item Number 82730
Weight 1.10 lbs
H.I.T.S. # (100 Yard Value) 826
Ballistic Coefficient .330
Sectional Density .241
Test Barrel Length (inches) 24
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 pm

[img]Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? Ftx-mushroom[/img]
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 pm

Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 am

Thats the same 30 30 i have i never shot it over 1oo -125yr. cause i was always told 150 was the limit....thanks for the info. hunt!
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Hey no problem, Just think, Now you can feel good with the same gun 200-300yrds. Go for it! Hornady make great ammo with any gun and its not much more than the basic stuff. I have learned over the years that ammo DOSE make a diff. I always spend a little more and this brand is awsome but not way out of line, but again some guns like diff ammo. My .243 loves the new red box winchester deer round. I bet I spent 150.00 on diff ammo testing. The my buds same gun like the Federal Premium which is lots more.
Back to top Go down
USMC1355

USMC1355

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

.308 just because I am very comfortable and accurate with it from shooting it in the marine corps...and never had one walk away yet.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Welcome to the TCHA US ..I hear a lot of good talk about .308 lots of ppl also use them for hog killin!
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm

USMC.. Welcome!. Glad to have you in on the fun.

The .308 is indeed a good round and was one that shot for a good while. Will be one that I get back in my hands some day. Hornady makes a light mag round that I would like to try out in this round.
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:45 pm

.243 for me. hogs, deer, yotes, anything of that nature haha.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Is that a .243 WSSM HG?
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Just the plain jane .243. i had the opurtuniy to pick up a WSSM but passed on it cause of the availability issues i've noticed with it.

Wal-mart quit carrying ammo for it and academy's never heard of it so online was the only option and at $40 bucks a box i couldn't see it feasable.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:13 pm

That .243 a hog killin gun fo sure.......
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm

oh yeah, and with any luck of being able to get on somewhere up here in this area i'll have some film and pics to show.

i want to get into the filming part of hunting too and try and film some hunts.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:25 pm

We got a video section just for that ...You in the right place post away bro!!!!
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 pm

well i should have some range footage in the next few weeks. got a new Nikon for the .243 so i gotta do some range time wtih it but i'll see about getting some film and posting it up for sure.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Sounds good !!!...nice avatar !!!!
Back to top Go down
HogGuy243

HogGuy243

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks!! i saw it in the ones on the site and figured that would work for now. till i can get a pic of a hog head on a stick or something lol.
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Yup, A good .243 is a great round. Glad there is another fan. Around here its a jack of all trades for sure. Yea , glad you passed on that wssm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next