TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeWhats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegisterWho's Online

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?

Go down 
+7
HogGuy243
USMC1355
Fool4Hunting
fyrdog929
cullhunter1
redog
Hunt to eat
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BMarshall

BMarshall

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 am

Hunt to eat wrote:
" Whats your gun of choice for taking a Deer and why?"

Like Red, I have a Rem. 270 that been customized to fit me ( I have some neck and shoulder issues) Has kickpad, muzzlebrake, and the scope is 1" up off the top.. still shoots like a .270, but kicks like a .243... Very nice shooting and accurate rifle. Mine is the Mountain rifle version.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 am

+ 1 on the .270 BM....most folks have a closet full of guns but my .270 is my go to rifle for everything i hunt.

Now that .243 is bad to the bone also ..Bro law got an old Walmart WSSM ... he shoots the eye out of a fly with that thing!!!
Back to top Go down
K-Fletch

K-Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, I only have two high power rifles.
One being the trusty old 30-06, which has always done me right.
And the newby, a 25-06, which has yet to be sighted in.

So needless to say the 30-06 is the go to gun for me.
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:15 pm

I've always used Browning 30-06 with the BOSS on it. Hardly any recoil at all and I can shoot MOA at 100 all day long.
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I've always used Browning 30-06 with the BOSS on it. Hardly any recoil at all and I can shoot MOA at 100 all day long.
Back to top Go down
BMarshall

BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Durn muzzlebrake makes my 270 sound like a howitzer going off..lol
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 am

Yep my son got a boss on his .270.... most of the time he leaves it turn off cause it is way loud!!
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm

You are absolutely correct about the BANG, The BOSS also comes in CR "Conventional Recoil" adapter that does not have the holes in it. Still acts as the "balancer" for the sweet spot. Not as loud. I typically keep the muzzle break on. My chemo port is on my right shoulder area and can't risk the recoil impact to that area. I sure do miss bird hunting with the 12 ga.

It sure does get the attention of bystanders when it goes off! cyclops
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Hey JR have you every tried a thumb hole stock ...I love mine, its a Bell & Carlson and is the cats meow!!!
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Never tried one. They look really cool though.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Its more then looks... it fits ya real nicely ...my bro law got me started on the thumb hole he had shoulder problems ... torn rotator cuff... and hes says its the only way he can shoot a gun now.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I shoot a 270 as well - but I take it a little further than the norm.I shoot a 270 with 140gr Accubonds handloaded at 3,000fps.I dont like to chase down animals after they have been shot.getting to old for that and with all the "new" laws about crossing a fence etc etc I like mine DRT.Theres nothing in North America that a 270 wont kill,its all about bullet performance and the person behind the gun.
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:13 pm

That's a flat shooting load you have there 700X. I'd be comfortable shooting that load at 200+.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:24 pm

It will drop em dead to 300 with no chase involved,but I like to keep any shot at 200 and under.I love the Accubond.Its like a Partition and a Ballistic Tip combined -perfect.
I did not get the .300 group like I do with 150gr Ballistic Tips - but its close at .470 and thats not bad for a Trophy Grade bullet.
Back to top Go down
Jackrabbit68
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I have my gun "tuned" with the Hornaday Interlock 150 gr. I'm happy with it and it's too much additional work to change ammo. Like you said, it'll take down anything in North America.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 8:43 am

No factory ammo here..LOLL

You cant buy this load off the shelf, I love the 140 gr Accubond becuz it holds the same B/C as the 150gr Ballistic Tip,but you get more speed with the 140 gr Accubond plus you get the same 496 B/Cas a 150gr -
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I have all ways wanted to change my bullet to the Accubond but my 150gr. Remington core lok cheap bullet choots so well that i can`t bring my self to change....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:42 am

A good friend of mine,after shooting a 270 for his enitre life got a wild hair and decided he needed a 270 WSM when the craze got started - he is paying 67.00 dollars for a box of shells.After you look at the ballistic charts,he did not gain anything on his 270WSM vs my handloaded 270.He is still pissed... Shocked
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:11 am

Sounds like a closet gun at that price...and missing the target makes it even worse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:48 am

He is looking to get rid of it already- lesson learned.
Back to top Go down
dbgun

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 am

I use to only shot .270 cal. Last few years it's been my Winchester 94 in 30-30.
Back to top Go down
redog
redog

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 am

Can`t beat the ol` 30 30...... it was my first with an old weaver side mount scope on it... Can`t see the cross hairs in it anymore...old and blind now!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?   Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats your gun of choice for taking Deer?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2